REDUCE, REUSE, RECYCLE!
Here at Baby Gift Works, we love our planet and want to try our best to protect it and luckily, so do the lovely people at Frugi. We are so happy to be stocking Frugi's fabulous new range of toddler outerwear, backpacks, lunch bags and pencil cases, all made from post-consumer recycled materials! That's the plastic drink bottles that you throw out in your household recycling - clever!
But how does this magic happen we hear you ask? Well, ponder no longer...
HOW IS THE FABRIC MADE?
Plastic bottles are made of polyethylene (PET), a form of polyester that can be recycled. The plastic bottles have their caps removed and are given a good scrub…
• FRUGI FLAKES
They are then shredded and processed into Frugi Flakes (not the sort you have for your breakfast). The flakes are then cleaned and transformed into chips.
The chips are melted and whizzed around in a spinneret to make strings of magic Frugi yarn.
This yarn is then woven into fantastic Frugi fabric!
• Our recycled fabric is then made into FRUGITASTIC outerwear, backpacks, lunch bags and pencil cases!
• 1 million plastic bottles are bought every minute. That figure is expected to rise 20% by 2021.
• The average person in the UK will use 150 plastic water bottles every year.
• Plastic bottles now make up a third of all plastic pollution in the sea.
• Studies have shown that up to 90% of seabirds have plastic in their stomachs.
• There are now over 159 plastic bottles for every mile of beach in the UK!*
*Source = Refill.org.uk
- 1 billion plastic water bottles are bought in Australia each year
- Australians buy 118,000 tonnes of plastic bottles each year.
- Over time a single plastic bottle can break up into over 10,000 individual pieces of microplastic. A study conducted by Boomerang Alliance in 2015 showed that 33% of plastic pollution in marine environments was beverage containers alone (Source = coolaustralia.org)
How many plastic bottles does it take to make...